I figured I would give my two cents on the whole Caitlyn Jenner business.
A hero is anyone who is admired, and inspires those who may be unafraid to make their own journey.
Some of the disgusting and utterly ridiculous things I have read over the past few days are just different forms of transphobia. (Yes, I'm calling people out as transphobic)
So here's a list:
1. Use the correct pronouns. If you don't, you're being a jerk. PERIOD!
2. Stop comparing her to veterans. It's a different ball game. There are many kinds of heroes. You don't have to wear a uniform to be considered a hero. Sometimes you just have to be yourself.
3. Stop implying that it isn't a big deal. It is. Trans people are DYING everyday and being treated unfairly. This visibility is important. DON'T DIMINISH IT!
4. Every trans person will have a different journey (FACT). The girl has money so hers was flawless. DON'T HATE because she has the ability to do something that not many others will have the ability to do. Don't compare yourself or your friends to her. Acknowledgment and appreciate what she has done to spark dialogue and LITERALLY dismantle some of the stigmas around what it means to be trans from a simple photo shoot and being who she was while finally having the courage to speak out in a public forum.#HeroStatus
5. Bruce has always been Caitlyn. The awards and notoriety may have been received in a male body, but Bruce was always Caitlyn. Don't diminish her anguish just because she's in the limelight, because I bet that made it exponentially harder to do what she did. I know many who struggle to find themselves. I also know just as many who would rather just hide it away and THAT is the real tragedy, NOT someone becoming their true self.
#TransAwareness #CaitlynJenner #BeYourself #FindYourself #LearToLove#LearnToListen #EndStigma